One of our lovely, experienced Hygienists, Tracey Stoneley’s Top Tips for a Tip Top mouth!
Visiting the dentist and hygienist are secondary to good, regular care at home. It is easy to get your mouth clean and healthy and keep it that way.
A simple dental routine can help prevent most dental problems. In reality, you may see the hygienist 2-4 times per year; you get to clean your mouth and teeth every day at home! My patients understand the techniques required and routines needed, and by doing so are more likely to keep their teeth and have healthy gums.
Not only that, there is a huge link between gum health and other health issues. So, what should you be doing?
Brushing your teeth
- Brush your teeth twice a day, morning and night time for 2 minutes with a fluoride toothpaste
- Make sure you brush the plaque away from where the gum and teeth meet
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue too
- Ideally, use an electric toothbrush
- Spit out after brushing, do not rinse – this allows the fluoride to remain on your teeth for longer
- Remember it’s important to change your toothbrush/brush head every 3 months or earlier if your toothbrush becomes splayed
Clean in between your teeth once a day with dental floss or interdental brushes preferably before bed.
Limit sugary food and drinks to mealtimes as much as possible.
Quit smoking – smoking increases your risk of gum disease.
If you drink alcohol, then do so in moderation.
Visit your dentist as often as they recommend.
A few small changes in your daily routine can make a big difference to your oral health. As a dental hygienist we can help remove deposits from your teeth and treat any gum disease present, but daily dental care is down to you!
It makes sense to give your teeth the best care possible.